Where's my Good Ol' 26th?

Every year, on this day, I think about how everything’s changed about this day.


There was a time when on 26th of January, everyone in my extended family gathered to watch the Republic Day parade. In fact, we kids were excited about it for about a week before the day. It wasn’t merely a holiday on which we could to relax. It was about watching the parade, having something special to eat and talking to each other about “stuff”. It was as enjoyable as any other festival. We talked about the parade in detail with classmates for days to come.

In those days, parade was “special”.


Now I watch the parade alone, without any enthusiasm. It’s a boring-as-hell affair. Not because it doesn’t interest me anymore. It’s because there’s no one to share it with anymore. Nobody in my acquaintance watches it, what the heck, nobody even talks about it. I don’t even hear the word ‘parade’ in my life anymore, leave alone watching it. The 26th comes and goes without anyone giving even a rat’s ass.


Shortening of the length of the parade this year proves my point well. It’s like everyone just wants to get it over with ASAP. It’s nothing more than a formality nowadays.

I want those days back.

I want back my dream, of watching the parade live, sitting at Rajpath, which died years ago (not because I can’t but because I don’t want to).

I want to want to watch those planes paint the sky tiranga once again with the same awe and excitement as I once did.


Somebody, please, gimme my parade back!

0 people killed themselves after reading this...:

Post a Comment