Guide to Malgudi

Finally finished with Guide.

I can’t start to tell you how many people, or should I say book lovers, were actually cursing me for not finishing it faster. And they are right.

It’s not lengthy, it’s not a tough read and, most of all, I’ve already read it before.


But, in my defense, reading it this time, I actually felt as if I was reading it for the first time. I guess I was too young when I read it the first time (I was 11) to relate to it. Plus, R.K.Narayan is so brilliant that you would breeze through any of his books, and every time you’ll read them you’ll find them still fresh as ever.


His way of elaborating the small nothings of life is so good, that you start to want to enjoy every word of it.

Anyone aware of Malgudi Days would understand what I mean.

Come to think of it, I feel bad for him that he, arguably, remains one of the most underrated writers in India (Indians are actually busy trying to flaunt their “connections” with Salman Rushdie and V.S.Naipaul).


But don’t worry man, I love you. And I hope there are a lot of people like me who have enjoyed your works and keep them close to their hearts.

0 people killed themselves after reading this...:

Post a Comment